Thursday, August 9, 2012

Goth Industrial - Club Mix

After moving to the city I met a pretty haired boy who took himself far too seriously. He dressed all in black and wore enough velvet to choke a cat. And yet, he had the largest impact upon my love of music I'd seen for quite awhile. He my dears was a self appointed goth.

During my much under-appreciated youth I found solace in my angry slightly off kilter industrial music choices. Much of which was created by the latest Bride of Chucky album. A little Monster Magnet, Kidney Theives and Type O Negative (rest in peace). This brought about a bit of Stabbing Westward and Nightwish (Halestorm's less angsty stepsister) as well as NIN (hey it was the mid thousands) which after a year or so faded and was mostly left forgotten until I started dating a manic-depressive scene kid.

On our first date I discovered Apopgytma Berzerk and after subsequent dates his ipod dump brought me Evans Blue and Breaking Benjamin. The line between mainstream success and sell out toed it with those two. After our very hurried relationship ended and I'd deleted the bulk of his crap off my ipod I met the pretty haired boy who finally found my taste in goth music to be under utilized.

He by way of the dance club I'd often gone to, but with no real regularity started me on a diet of the classics, Depeche Mode, Peter Murphy, Ministry. The new but not so new they were played often loves of Placebo, Covenant and Daft Punk.

But this was right when Muse hit the scene. An album where almost every track was a hit and played four or five times a night. Whose timing and electronic lick slid past the candy coated posts of Silversun Pickups and Shiny Toy Guns to edge into the epically naughty epicenter of your brain. And lived there, begging to be fed.

The band didn't take themselves too seriously and even became known for an epic practical joke, but after six months of consistent play time went like She Wants Revenge and were soon played out. The clubs had a slot to fill and by and large there entered Faderhead for a little industrial dance high with the ever awesome Wolfsheim for a little slower and lighter balance.

Wolfsheim was chippy where Faderhead was electro, complimentary where they were bash your face in pre-dubstep, essentially the goth Simon and Garfunkel of their day. Plus you could always count on a bit of Postal Service and TV on The Radio to lighten up the heavy industrial nights the goth clubs started to adhere to. Which was around the time I stopped going.

Quite a bit of the music that's played now is dubstep. Artists like Skrillex and Bassnector have taken over where the classics once roamed edging them out. But truthfully making way for many of these 90's cult classics to be given their own night, a night where real goths can go, swirl and remember a time, oh such a time! when music had words.



Artists loved but not mentioned:

Collide
Motorhead
Assembledge 23
Siouxsie and the Banshees 
The Gits
Necessary Response
Echo and the Bunnymen
The Parlor Mob
De/Vision
The Frozen Autumn
Grauzone
Massive Attack
New Order
Peter Shilling
The Presets
Seabound

No comments:

Post a Comment